Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Primordial Soup

Hello, and welcome to the place where the incoherent thoughts in my head will gather in a (hopefully) coherent way.

In this blog I'm going to be talking about evolution, and the controversies that arise when creation becomes involved. I think its important here to note that although I'm not really religious, I still respect people who are, and believe that if they want to have faith, that's a fine thing. I also want to clarify that I don't believe that religion and science, or more specifically for here creation and evolution, need to be mutually exclusive. In my eyes, if you want God to fit into it, he created everything, and guides evolution. It still works. Basically I'm going to be saying that evolution is a fact, not a theory and discuss different things from mechanisms to things I see as problems such as teaching creation in a science class. Its going to be sort of "as I think of it" for a while until I get a totally clear direction of where I want to end up, and the argument I want to portray. 

I guess I need to give a bit of background about me and why this is all happening. Over the summer, I completed a Bachelor of Science with majors in genetics and neuroscience. Straight after this, I moved onto studying a Masters of Science Communication, as I wasn't really sure if the lab was the place for me. This blog is designed to be an assessment piece for a subject I'm doing within the degree called "communicating controversial science", hence the controversial topic. Not sure if this is going to be my final topic yet (I have the 9th to decide and get one up and running). There may be a last minute swap to discussing the concept of consciousness and what it is. Just feeling this evolution argument that I'd put out here might be a bit too cliché and overdone (and in my head there's no real controversy or question). Time will tell and next Monday still seems like so far away.

I think I covered everything I wanted for the intro post. If not, oh well, there's always a new post or the edit button.

And if you didn't know already, the title "endless forms most beautiful" is a quote from Darwin in the famous: On the Origin of Species.

No comments:

Post a Comment